Friday, December 11, 2009

The Smithsonian Picture

Photobucket

My mom and I refer to this picture as the Smithsonian picture. It reminds us both of those pictures of familial bliss that you would see in a museum about the 1950's. The story goes that my grandfather had a friend who occasionally took pictures for Life magazine. My grandparents wanted a family photo. This treasure was born.

Pictured (from left to right) are my aunt Crystal, my mom Cheryl, my uncle Howard, my aunt Chelsea (as always wearing the perfect 1950's ensemble), my grandpa Howard (in his Clark Kent phase), my aunt Carol, and my Grandma Rosie. My grandpa's organ, which he played endlessly, also features prominently. My grandpa's music was the soundtrack of our family's life.

My aunt Carol is the keeper of the organ now. Being the only piano player in the family, I have the piano. I actually downgraded from a Baldwin to his custom made Amish piano so that I could have it standing in my living room. Will gets a lot of use out of it; it seems he had my grandfather's ear and can play without the aid of sheet music. I'm a lifelong pianist and can play Beethoven, Chopin, Poulenc, and a little jazz, but to me, none of it sounds as sweet as my grandfather with his shaky fingers playing "Fascination."

2 comments:

mouse (aka kimy) said...

what a treasure and classic family portrait!

I didn't know the amish made pianos! what an heirloom.

Susan said...

LOVE old pictures!

Just put pictures my Grandma had in an old album into a new album for her. It was 1953-1958. So COOL to see her in the life stage then that I'm in now!

I'll follow you if you follow me ;)
www.fourfabulousfemales.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails